collection of stories, photos, art and information on Stalag Luft I
If you are a former Prisoner of War or a next of
kin of a POW, we invite you to sign and leave your email address so others that
come may find you. Please mention camp, compound, barracks and room numbers if
OFFICE OF THE GROUP COMMANDER
GROUP I, USAAF, NORTH COMPOUND
OFLAG LUFT I, BARTH, GERMANY
March 31, 1945
Fried Spam (1/4 per man)
2. NOTICE: Catholic Choir rehearsal after 4th Mess this evening in Large Mess.
3. NOTICE: Personnel interested in the results of yesterday's Meeting
of the Mess Committee, contact your Squadron Commander.
4. OFFICIAL: It is now a Group order that articles will no longer be
thrown over the fence between this Compound and North 2.
5. OFFICIAL: All porcelain bowls will have be turned into the Mess
Hall before 1200 hours today. This includes absolutely every bowl
and plate with the exception of ten each from the Sergeants Blocks
12, 13, and 14. All red water pitchers will also have to be turned in. Arrangements will be made for future possible issue of these
pitchers. It is anticipated that soon, hot water may be on the tables.
This cannot be done until these pitchers are turned in.
6. OFFICIAL: Squadron Commanders will inspect their respective Blocks at
1200 hours today.
7. OFFICIAL: In order to stop a typical kriegie rumor, the statement
that there would be no address directory in "Behind Barbed Wire" is
not true. The directory includes all four compounds.
8. OFFICIAL: Due to the coal shortage in the Compound, the Laundry
Schedule, effective today, will be extended, where by participants
Will do their laundry once every ten days instead of every seven
days. The purpose of this new schedule is to make available more
hot water daily. The following schedule for the laundry boiler
in the Sergeants compound is effective commencing today:
0830 - Laundry - Bl. 13 (8 bundles) 1330 - Hot water for brews. 1500 - Hot water for all purposes. 1630 - Hot water for all purposes. 1800 - Hot water for brew only.
NOTE: During the periods scheduled for brew water, please take only the amount needed for your brew making at that particular time as this source has to supply the whole Compound.
9. Block 4, Room 3:
1200 Jewish Church Services 1500 Business Accounting